Monday, August 8, 2011

Experimental Jewelry: WRISTBANDIT

I love experimental and unconventional jewelry! In this series I'm featuring jewelry artists who work with unconventional materials and techniques, and who see a ring or a pendant as a canvas to express their art and creativity.

In my quest for jewelry artists who work with unconventional materials and techniques, I've come across a jewelry designer from Ohio, US, who creates amazing handpainted jewelry using reclaimed materials, gemstones, glass and found pieces. I fell in love with her colorful and really unique creations, which truly deserve the title of "Wearable Art". Sharon is inspired by such fascinating cultures as the Inuit, Native American designs, aboriginal artwork and African masks, and her work is a journey to faraway places and cultures.
Sharon works under her own brand Wristbandit. As her shop name suggests, she specializes in Art for the Wrist, but she creates wonderful Art for the Neck and Art to pin-on as well. This is how Sharon addresses her target customer: "You are a part of the Art Scene. You go to gallery shops and museums. You love the art of other cultures.You dress a little edgy and people comment on your individual style. You are creative and my pieces are designed for you." (I love this statement!)
I love Sharon's idea about wearable art. She believes in body adorment as a form of art: "For me, it is an art object you can wear. You could be wearing a small painting, sculpture, or collage. It also has to be something that you won't see everyone wearing".
For her creations, she likes to use found objects and reused materials. Her love for the extraordinary reflects in all of her life: "I am drawn to odd shaped containers, patterns, colors and anything out of the ordinary when shopping".
You can find Sharon's unique Wearable Art in her Etsy shop Wristbandit. Enjoy!










No comments:

Post a Comment