Sunday, April 3, 2011

CALYPSO RINGS!






Here they are! My new rings, created with beautiful wooden disks and polymer clay.
I called them Calypso... In Greek mythology, Calypso was a sea nymph. According to Homer, she kept the fabled hero Odysseus on her island so she could make him her immortal husband. Calypso detained him in her island for seven years, until she was obliged by the gods to allow him to continue his journey homewards. Although she is often seen as a negative symbol of a temptress and seductress, Calypso was also a rescuer: on her island she welcomed the exhausted Greek hero, who was adrift in the open sea after losing his ship and his army when heading back home to Troy.
Each Greek island is a Calypso who welcomes the visitor who lands on it, and when he is there she keeps him in her thrall, spellbound and bewitched, with her seductive and mesmerizing powers. When I look at this ring I see an Island. And I see Calypso.
Created with gorgeous natural wooden disks from Helmitarha Supplies, and polymer clay in a custom mix of blues, turquoise and white. Before baking I have added a touch of glitter for extra sparkle: just think how it will pop on a sunny day! The touch of color highlights the wonderful texture of the wood. A gorgeous ring, simple and elegant yet sunny and colourful. Perfect for hot summer nights… or for dreaming about your Island!
Now in my Etsy shop... except Calypso (the first ring): that's my own little treasure :)!

No comments:

Post a Comment