Wednesday, September 19, 2012

FAVORITE BOOKS: My First Art Jewelry Book


There are books that are dear to your heart... some of them even change your life or give it a new direction. This was my very first book about creative jewelry making... Until then, I had been making beaded jewelry and I loved it -- but I was searching for new ways to express my creativity in new, experimantal ways. I found this book in a bookshop in Berlin one summer back in the 90s... This wonderful book opened a whole new world to me... It was the first time I read about jewelry making as a form of art, and about "jewelry designers" and "jewelry artists". It showed how amazing pieces of jewelry could be made using materials such as polymer clay, fabrics, paper, plastic... and many other "non-precious" materials. I still remember how I would spend hours admiring the dreamy pieces in this book... how I reveled in the amazing colors and shapes! What I was most fascinated with was the discovery that it was actually possible to create a piece from scratch, modeling it with different materials, and giving it a completely unique, one-of-a-kind character. This stuck with me ever since... and my journey never stopped! I still love this book dearly, and even though I have many more creative books now, this is still the one that's dearest to my heart.






No comments:

Post a Comment