Sunday, November 3, 2013

So Much To Celebrate

We're coming off of a family and fun-filled week. I think the busy-ness is part of the reason I love the holiday season. Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, all in three short months! And after the family leaves, the calm is even more defined and appreciated.

Yesterday we celebrated my mom's Halloween birthday, a couple days late. We were originally going to spend the day at her house. But thanks to a crazy windstorm which took out my parents' power, the party was relocated to our place. All four of my siblings and our kids were gathered together. It was nice to all be in the same place.

We had a nice cheese plate for an appetizer and I made our family's favorite Spaghetti casserole. It's amazingly delicious and insanely easy! I always use whole wheat pasta and the kids never even notice, much less protest, the extra healthiness.

The kids showed off their cute costumes.


My cute niece was an adorable bumble bee! 

Ryan showed off his eating skills.


My dad showed off his wrestling skills.


I filled a pinata for the kids....but since we weren't planning on having the party at our house, we were slightly under-prepared (can you believe we don't own a single rope?!) So we all improvised.




Jacob body-slammed the heck out of that pinata.



All the kids with their buckets of loot.


Everyone at the party was at risk of being pummeled by bouncey balls as Ryan practiced his throwing arm on unsuspecting guests. The kid has an arm!

Then we all sang happy birthday to Grandma.


When the guests left, my husband and I sat on the couch to watch a movie and sip the left over wine. The kids, blissfully unaware of Daylight Savings Time, woke us up at 6:00 a.m. My husband and I took turns dragging ourselves to the living room to comply with their occasional demands ("Mom, I'm hungry!" "Baba pees mama!" and  "Ryan POOPED!"). Then we snuck back into the warm covers and drifted in and out of sleep.

As I was about to get out of bed, my husband pulled me back in.

Husband: "Happy Anniversary."
Me: [holy crap! Totally forgot! Play it cool CP] "Happy Anniversary sexypants."
Husband: "I got you something."
Me: "You shouldn't have gotten me anything." [no seriously, you shouldn't have]

My husband hands me a plastic bag which clearly contains the sole object of my desire for the past three months... A Seahawks Russell Wilson jersey. (Did I really want the jersey or did I want the man....hmmmm, that's a hard one).

Me: "OMG. Thank you!"
Husband: "Don't buy me anything."
Me: "I didn't."

Ooops.

But in all seriousness, I'm so fortunate to be celebrating six years of marriage with this guy.

Dating




We don't agree on a lot of things. Ok, we don't agree on most things. But we are able to respect each other (mostly) and, most importantly, learn from each other. He's made me more appreciative of details and order. I think I've helped him to embrace the big picture and to enjoy a little bit of chaos and spontaneity once in a while.We made a good team. And cute kids.


Today is promising to be an awesome day, although we have no real plans to celebrate our anniversary. I'm going to meet up with my sister to find a bridesmaids dress for her March wedding in Tennessee (plane tickets BOOKED! I love flying!). The Seahawks are playing a home game today. I'm going to have to find a way to keep up with the game in between pulling bridesmaid dresses over my head. And I have a brand new Seahawks jersey to celebrate!

Go Seahawks!


No comments:

Post a Comment