Thursday, August 9, 2012

Penguin Hatching

It's weird, the stuff that sticks in a child's brain.

One time, I mentioned to Jacob that cheese has protein in it (no idea if that's true or not, but it was a ploy to get him to eat some cheese so he can grow big "like Spiderman!"). Now, when I refuse to give him Doritos for breakfast, Jake tells me he would like some cheese because it has protein. Then he usually asks me if a spider can bite him so he can turn into the superhero.

One time, last year, when he had a fever and didn't eat all day, I put some crackers by his bed for a bedtime snack. Since then, it's amazing the number of times this kid has had a "fever" right before bed time. Pretty sure we're marching into world record territory.

The other day, I told Jacob to get dressed. He marched up to me and said, "Mommy, stop freaking out." I gave him THE LOOK. Then he said, "Freaking out means going crazy." I guess his daddy taught him that one.

His memory is amazing. He frequently shares miniscule details from events that happened over a year ago. Things that I barely remember. I'm worried that he will start remembering the times I stuck him in his baby swing so that I could sit on the couch in my pjs at 3pm, eat candybars, and watch Desperate Housewives. Oh the shame....

He can recall the time he ate a hotdog at the park back in 2010. But, I tell him FIVE times to pick up the 230 pennies in his bed and he conveniently forgets. Sheesh.

Everytime Jake watches a new movie, we notice that unusual phrases begin to pop up in his vocabulary.  For example, "You've got to move it, move it!" is from Madagascar. And then there's my personal favorite "Who gives a rat's butt!" He picked up that lovely phrase from Mr. Popper's Penguins, which he has always pronounced as Pimper Pompers Penguins.

Since watching Pimper Pompers Penguins, he's also picked up the habit of sitting on his baby brother's head. When I ask him what he's doing, he tells me he's a penguin and that's how penguins hatch their babies. "Mommy, I'm just keeping him warm. He's too bald."

Well, I can't really argue with that....


My poor, bald Ryan DOES kind of have an unfortunate resemblence to a baby penguin.

But when he dazzles us with his smiles, we can forgive the baldness. Cue the shameless excuse to share pictures.


No comments:

Post a Comment